STEUBENVILLE, Ohio — The growing community effort to save the Fort Steuben Mall received a significant update Friday after representatives connected to the “Fix Fort Steuben Mall” campaign shared details from a direct conversation with Total Finance, the company that took ownership of the property following foreclosure.
According to the statement released online, Total Finance says it was not the original owner of the mall, but rather the lender involved with the property prior to foreclosure. Company representative Bill Johnson reportedly explained that the foreclosure process lasted nearly a year and that the full extent of the building’s deterioration was not realized until ownership officially transferred several months ago.
Johnson stated that the company has already invested more than $300,000 into repairs and stabilization efforts, with roof work representing the largest expense so far. However, he acknowledged that substantial issues remain throughout the property.
The update comes as the mall faces increasing pressure from city officials following a recent 30-day notice tied to conditions at the site. According to the online post, Johnson requested additional time from the city, but was told the timeline would remain in place. He reportedly expressed concern that it would be nearly impossible to secure qualified consultants and complete the required work within that window.
The statement also warned that if condemnation proceedings move forward, closure of affected portions of the mall — and possible displacement of remaining tenants — could become unavoidable.
Another major issue discussed was the condition of the mall parking lot. Johnson reportedly explained that businesses using the common parking areas have traditionally contributed through common area maintenance fees. Before foreclosure, Walmart and Aspen Dental were said to be making substantial monthly contributions toward upkeep.
According to the post, those payments allegedly stopped after Total Finance assumed ownership, complicating efforts to fully repair the lot. While patching work has continued, Johnson reportedly stated that the company cannot justify the cost of a full resurfacing project without a longer-term resolution involving the property.
One point drawing attention from local business owners was Johnson’s reported willingness to allow surrounding businesses to make parking lot repairs themselves if formal permission would help move the process forward.
Community organizers behind the “Fix Fort Steuben Mall” effort are now encouraging residents to contact city officials, council members, and county leaders to advocate for additional time to address the issues before more severe action is taken.
The Fort Steuben Mall has long been a commercial hub for the Ohio Valley, and concern over its future has sparked increasing public discussion in recent months as conditions at the property continue to deteriorate while businesses remain open.
River News will continue following developments involving the mall, city enforcement actions, and any future repair or redevelopment plans.



